Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Preparation

Wednesday January 11
8:30am
I am at Hoag Hospital in Newport Beach sitting in a holding area waiting to get 2 procedures done:
1. Biopsy of tumor in shoulder (ouch...)
2. Installation of a Porta-cath - which will allow them to "plug me in" without sticking a needle in my vein during the chemo sessions that start on Monday (1/16).

I'm a little nervous about it because so far everyone I've talked to that has had this procedure was out during the operation. I was informed that they were only going to put me in "Twilight" sleep, which is really not sleep at all! Hopefully I will be out of it enough to not feel or care about what's going on down there. Will touch back later on to let you know how it went...

3:30pm
I'm done! All went well! Neither procedure was painful, with the exception of a slight pain when they were drilling into my shoulder blade to get the biopsy.

The installation of the Porta-cath was a piece of cake - no pain at all.

I'm now wired for sound and ready to start the chemo on Monday!

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Ron, planning on coming to see you and fam soon. Your a champ in my eyes

    ReplyDelete